Do you have content that you think would be a good fit for ArtbeatsExpress? We would love to see it! Below you will find out how our submission process works and how to become an ArtbeatsExpress Contributor.
- The 6 Steps
- Helpful Tips
- Property and Talent Release Forms
- Contributor Guidelines
- Contributor FAQ
- Contributor Agreement
The 6 Steps
Step 2: Sign Up!
Create an account and fill out your Profile Page. You will find a signup button on this page below the Contributor Guidelines. During the signup process you will be prompted to agree to the Website Terms and the Contributor Agreement.
Step 3: Upload Some Samples
Once you have finished the signup process, you will be taken to your Profile Page. On the upper right-hand corner is the Upload Files button. Upload up to 10 Content files that are a typical representation of your style and quality.
Step 4: Review
The ArtbeatsExpress staff will review your information. We will send you email notification as soon as we can. To make sure you get a favorable review, be sure and follow the Contributor Tips and Guidelines.
Step 5: Start Uploading
Once you are an approved contributor, select Upload Content from the My Express menu. This will give you access to the Content Uploader.
Step 6: Submit Metadata and Releases
Fill out the metadata form on the Online Editor or the Spreadsheet Template. Upload signed property and talent releases (PDF, JPG, PNG, or TIFF files accepted).
- ArtbeatsExpress is a subscription service only. Thus, royalties are calculated monthly based on subscription revenue collected.
- All content types (Footage, After Effects Templates, Images, Music, and Sound Effects) are treated with equal value to the Subscriber. For example, a download “credit” may be used for either one footage file or one photo.
- 50% of all revenue is distributed to Contributors based on how much your content is downloaded. The more your content is downloaded in a given month, the more revenue you will receive.
- Royalties are paid monthly.
Example revenue calculation:
Subscription Fees x 50% x (your downloads/total downloads)
If during one month, Artbeats collected $237,000 in net subscription fees; total Subscriber Downloads were 14,160; and Subscriber Downloads for your Content were 150; then you would be paid $1,255.30. [($237,000 x .5) x (150/14,160) = $1,255.30].
- You may upload content by clicking the Upload Content menu item under My Express, OR by clicking the Upload Content button on your Dashboard. You will then be prompted to choose between uploading via the Online Editor or via Spreadsheet Upload.
- The Online Editor is suitable for new users with smaller batches of files (usually less than 50).
- The Spreadsheet Upload is suitable for experienced users with large batches of files (usually 50 or more).
- You will then be prompted to drag your files directly onto the Content Uploader.
- If you have 500 or more footage files to upload, it may be easier to send us a hard drive. If so, please contact Jenny Rabern: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit Quality Content: You are submitting content under the Artbeats brand, which is known for quality. Know how to frame shots, practice good composition. Make things easier for a professional editor by giving some lead-in and lead-out for transitions.
- Footage should be no longer than 1 minute in duration.
- Footage should have releases for both talent and property. This will give the end user confidence to use your footage for broadcast.
- Steady Shots: Shoot from a tripod, jib, dolly or otherwise provide stabilized footage.
- Focus: With resolutions getting higher and higher, keeping the subject in sharp focus is highly important.
- Exposure: Try not to clip highlights or crush blacks. Remember that customers may want lots of options to push colors and contrast.
- Color temperature: Try to match color temperature with the type of light being used.
- Resolution: HD (1920x1080) or higher. Always submit your highest resolution and ONLY your highest resolution. No need submit multiple versions of the same footage since the website will process these versions automatically.
- File Extensions: Valid extensions that our video uploader accepts are avi, m4v, mov, mp4, mpeg, mts, mxf, and wmv.
- Format: Quicktime PhotoJPEG or Apple ProRes. Shoot with the highest data-rate possible with your media and encode only once to keep compression artifacts to a minimum. PhotoJPEG is preferred, but if the footage contains an alpha matte, Apple ProRes is acceptable.
- Frame Rate: Footage shot in slow motion and/or timelapse should be submitted as 60fps, 48fps, 24fps or 29.97fps. Be careful when converting between these formats. The biggest problem we have seen is dropped frames and duplicate frames. Please check your footage carefully before uploading.
- Use up-to-date, quality equipment. This is worth the investment. Quality boundaries are being pushed higher and higher.
- Post a Demo Reel on your Profile Page.
After Effects Templates
- Make sure you own copyright to all elements and the final template uploaded to ArtbeatsExpress. Do not upload third party paid plug-ins or stock elements purchased from others that are not licensed for use in templates.
- Files should be compatible with After Effects CS3 or higher.
- Templates should be a resolution of 1920x1080 or higher.
- Make one Zip file for each template, containing your preview video, project file, folder with elements, and any readable document necessary.
Photos & Illustrations
- Upload only photos that are owned by you, or that you control the copyright to.
- Uploaded files should be JPEG, PNG, or TIFF format.
- If you indicate that a photo is released, you must provide a copy of that release in order for that image to be available for sale.
- Your profile page allows for you to upload a demo reel. We encourage you to use this opportunity to post a video “slide show” of your best selects.
- Upload only files that are owned by you, or that you control the copyrights to.
- If the audio file contains a performance or voice of a third party, the file must be released. We do not require you to upload releases for audio files.
- Acceptable formats are MP3, CAF, M4A, FLAC, OGG, ACE, AIFF, WAV
- Files should be no longer than 10 minutes.
- Your profile page allows for you to upload a demo reel. We encourage you to use this opportunity to post a video that shows examples of how your audio can be used with footage.
Property and Talent Release Forms
The following is a list of requirements that we ask of every ArtbeatsExpress Contributor.
- You must own the copyright and/or have the authorization to resell all content submitted to ArtbeatsExpress.
- If you designate that you have releases for images or footage, the releases must be provided for the content to go on sale.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and can legally enter into a contract to sell content.
- Use Property and Talent Releases when applicable.
- Metadata must be added within 7 days of uploading content.
- Keywords must be relevant to the content.
- Content quality must be consistent with or better than your uploaded sample files.
- Footage size limitations: HD: 2GB limit. 4K and higher: 4GB limit. Length: 1 minute max.
- You have checked your footage for dropped or duplicate frames.
- Maximum demo reel length: 4 minutes.
Does ArtbeatsExpress require Exclusivity?
No. Any content you submit to ArtbeatsExpress may be offered on other distribution channels as well.
How long does the approval process take?
You should hear back from us within 5 business days of uploading your first submission.
How do I make my content get noticed?
1. Quality. The ArtbeatsExpress search is designed so that quality rises to the top.
2. Quantity. If you are consistent in uploading content often, you have a better chance of getting noticed and of being listed as a Top Contributor.
3. Relevance. It is easy to find out what the most popular content is by doing broad searches and sorting by popularity. Arming yourself with this knowledge can help you provide content that people want.
4. Keep track of Content Requests. The Content Requests page is where subscribers post requests for content they can’t find. You might have something (or can shoot) something that will work for them. Meeting these needs is a great way to build up popularity.
Will I still own the content I submit to ArtbeatsExpress?
Yes. No transfer of ownership takes place. You are merely granting us the ability to license (think “renting”) your content to Subscribers.
What is the amount I will earn from each download of my content?
We estimate between $5 and $10 per download.
Why is my content not available for sale?
- If you are a new contributor, your content is considered “pending” and will not be available until you are approved. Please upload 10 content items and we will contact you within 5 business days.
- If you are an approved contributor, your content may not be processed by the ArtbeatsExpress servers yet. Depending on upload volume, it may take up to a week before your content goes live on the site.
- Check to make sure you have completed all the required metadata fields for each file. If required metadata is missing, your content will appear under the “Needs Edits” Tab of your My Uploads Page.
- If you have selected “Released”, make sure you have uploaded the Talent and/or Property release.
- Check to make sure “For Sale” is selected in the Content Editor.
How do I know what are the required fields?
Spreadsheet Upload: You will see a red “REQUIRED” above the required fields.
Content Uploader: You will see a red asterisk next to the required fields.
I have 4K and HD versions of my content. Should I upload both?
No, just submit the 4K version. The ArtbeatsExpress website will automatically create lower resolution versions.
My content is larger than 4K. Do you accept 5K or larger content?
Yes, we do, however, we currently have a 5GB file size limit per content item.
Will ArtbeatsExpress accept my IPTC metadata?
Yes, any content items that contain IPTC metadata will import with that data attached to the file.
I’m not sure the people or the property in my content is released. Is it OK for me to upload the content anyway?
It depends on the content type. For Music and Sound FX the answer is no, all audio files must be released. For images, footage and After Effects, the content may be uploaded as long as “no” is selected on the “Talent/Property Release available?” question.
How long does it take before my content goes live on ArtbeatsExpress?
Your uploaded content should go live within a week of you completing all the required fields on the Metadata Content Uploader (or upload spreadsheet)
What Tax forms or information do I need?
For US residents, a W-9 is required. For all other countries, a W-8 BIN form is required. These forms will be provided as part of the Contributor signup process.Become a Contributor